Tuesday 13 October 2015

Slow Fashion October // Introduction

                         

       
October is my favourite month of the year, although the weather is still a bit too warm for my liking here! It seems like the perfect time for a new project, and Karen of Fringe Association has created a great one : Slow Fashion October. 

Now I am a couple of weeks late to the party so I am going to combine the some weeks together.

But first let me (re-)introduce myself: 
Where are you at with all this and what first got you interested in Slow Fashion?
It's only been the last couple of years that a handmade wardrobe has become more of a accessible reality for me, as my skills as a maker has grown. Along with that has come more of an awareness of how our society views consumerism. I have always loved buying secondhand clothes, the thrill of the find, the fact that you won't be wearing the same thing as anyone else. Fashion has always been a way for me to express myself, from a teenager buying second hand in charity shops, up to now. But making your clothes is the ultimate expression. I made a goal at the beginning of the year to try not to buy any clothes unless I really needed it. And for the most part I have managed to do it, I did buy some underwear and pyjamas :)

What are your skills?
I have always loved making things and have two talented grandmothers, one who is an awesome seamstress and one who is a very prolific knitter. Knitting came first when I was small and then I rediscovered it in my early teens. My mum always laughs as for the longest time I couldn't cast on and off and would get her to do it. About five years ago I knit my first garment, rather than a scarf or hat. Typically I didn't choose something easy but a long cardigan coat that took me two years to make!! Thankfully my knitting has gotten faster but that coat taught me something important, that when you make something and put a lot of time and effort into it, that item matters more. Not only is it unique but it is a reflection of you, your personality. 
What do you hope to get out of Slow Fashion October and what are your personal goals for the month?
I feel like my style is changing and growing as I get older. The styles that appealed to me when I was a teenager don't really feel right anymore. So I want to use this month to reassess my wardrobe and work to fill the holes. I am also really excited to learn more about where things come from, especially yarn.
Do you have a special project you plan to tackle this month?
I have been following Collete patterns wardrobe architect and it has really helped me to be more purposeful in my buying/making. It has helped me work out what shapes I like and the holes I have in my wardrobe. I had to get rid of a lot of clothes when I moved countries and although it forced me to purge I am left with a group of items that are not massively cohesive, so this month I want to make a few items that fill holes AND that I will love. I want to find a few patterns that fit me well and use them to make a small uniform that goes with the things I already own. 
Also I want to learn more about locally produced yarn and buy some to knit a jumper this winter.  

So what about you guys, are you joining in?

No comments:

Post a Comment